Thursday, February 10, 2011

San Antonio TEXAS Stockshow and Rodeo




I was just as excited, if not more, to take my kiddos to the SAN ANTONIO Stock grounds!  I remember loving it as a kid and wanting my kids to experience a Texas-size rodeo. ;)  My girls are in love with Jesse from Toy story and Slaeter won't go anywhere without his Woody...  Audrey gave us her best impersonation of Jesse, in her best "Jesse-voice" as soon as she heard that we were going to the rodeo,  "Yeehaw! Ride 'em cowboys!  Woohoo..."




Feeding the livestock is always a favorite of mine.  I have to say, I was very impressed with the variety of animals the kids were able to feed and pet.  The Llama was a bit pushy.  He was obsessed with anyone that had a handful of seed and didn't hesitate to bully anyone in his path. (see above)  I laughed so hard when I saw this picture of us (see above) with the Llama because you can tell Audrey is extremely concerned and doesn't want to take her eye of him.


 Mya is my inquisitive child, never too shy to ask anyone a question.  She soaks up every and any bit of knowledge that crosses her path (this can be good and bad).  :)  She absolutely loves learning, which makes homeschooling a piece of cake.  She thoroughly enjoyed all the exhibits.  We where studying the bees and next thing I knew, she was asking the beekeeper all sorts of questions.  Of course, he loved it hahaaaa!  I could tell he was thrilled to have a child actually interested in his work. 

 I can't say that I had a favorite because all the exhibits were so interesting!  However, I will say, the snake exhibit definitely captivated our attention for quite a while.  The men hosting were so animated when talking about the snakes, my wide-eyed children gave them their full attention.
 If the snakes weren't the kids favorite, I'm sure the little chick pictured below was.  The kids were able to not only pet a chick, they also saw one hatch!  Alright, alright, I know, I know... a statement like that screams "city girl" doesn't it.  I don't care.  It was amazing to watch this little chick slowly crack open the shell and struggle to climb out.  He floundered about and after a while seemed to give up, to exhausted to continue.  I was able to sympathize.   ;)   



This was the girls first time to sit on a pony. So, the thought of riding the pony was extremely exciting for Mya and nerve-wrecking for Audrey.  Mya's enthusiasm is what convinced Audrey that it would be fun and safe.  Rightr before they "saddled up" Audrey looked anxiously at my mom and said, "I hope they don't walk grandma."  Of course, Mya quickly decided she needed to throw in her 2 cents and remarked, "Well, I hope they run!  FAST! I want them to run super fast!"  Even though the ponies didn't run, Mya made the most out of the ride and was hootin' and hollerin', waving her hand in the air, as she went a snail's pace around the circle.  I think the only reason they didn't get dizzy is because they were going so slow!  This pace was a happy medium and both girls left this booth extremely happy.

 Best grocery store in the country!  How I miss HEB and their kid-friendly carts (massive double-seaters), employees (handing out free tortillas, lunch meat, cookies...), treats (Buddy bucks, balloons...).  They had several, wonderful, fun, educational stations set up for the kids. 


 You can see the excitement on Mya's face, even at this angle.  :)  LOVE it.  Also, before I forget, I couldn't have done this without my mom and little sister.  Well, okay, I could have, but it would have been a lot more work and a lot less fun.  Thank you Mom and Angela for all your help and for making this day possible! 
   Hahaaaa  What can I say, it's in the blood?  Slaeter takes after his Grandpa Sullivan who was a dairy farmer. 

 Speaking of Sullivan, notice the sign below. 
And what's a rodeo without a carnival and some carnival eats! 
These Texas size babies cost me a pretty penny.  However, the kids were starving and I hadn't taken the time to pack very many snacks, so we were forced to pay top dollar for cheap food.  As I was standing in line, a woman asked if she could take a picture of me with my huge corn dogs (see below) to send to her friends/relatives in another state.  She said she had never seen corn dogs that big?  Really?  I guess it would explain the reason SA is one of the fattest cities.  We love our food and love lots of it!  :)


 Dancing...
These are the moments I cherish.  The moments that make all the work and stress that come with being a mommy worth while.  As one of my friends said, "These are the hard years because you all are so busy working, preparing for your future, trying to raise little ones... it's demanding."  I don't want to miss out on the joy, the little moments... and miss these special times because life-stresses blinded me.  No matter where I am or what roof I am under, these kiddos make it home.  I am grateful for their contagious joy and laughter!



Seriously, the kids bring so much laughter and joy into my life everyday!  Watching Slaeter laugh and giggle because the face-painting tickled his face, Mya's hilarious poses, and the sparkle in Audrey's eyes made it all worth while.

 We finished up the day with some Rudy's "Worst Bar- B-Q in town"  ;) 

1 comment:

  1. Liz - YOUR BLOG LOOKS AWESOME!!! Now just don't forget that password :) I don't know how you have your pictures so large on here ( and you may not know either, hehe) but I want that!

    ReplyDelete