Wednesday, April 6, 2011

3rd time's the charm - right?

Or at least I'm hoping because this is the 3rd monarch caterpillar we are attempting to raise.  Our sweet friend (my sis' mom in-law) brought one over to my parent's house Sunday night.  We were so excited to meet our little caterpillar!  However, the next morning I found myself staring at a very, and I mean, VEEEEERY still caterpillar.  It was laying on it's side, never a good sign. ;) I decided to give it a day to move, wiggle, ANYTHING!  I've ever cared for one before and didn't want to toss it until I was sure it was dead.  I am very pro-life. ;)  I thought, perhaps, it might be sleeping.  Seriously,  I know I would want to nap if I had a full belly, especially after chowing down on a leaf for a whole day!  Unfortunately, our poor little caterpillar was not sleeping, but stiff as a board - dead as a door nail.  Our 2nd little guy drowned in but a spit-full of water  and could not escape a watery-grave.  We are now attempting to protect (I guess from ourselves?)  our 3rd monarch caterpillar. 
The Monarch is the state butterfly.  Although, not an endangered species, is in need of help because its numbers are rapidly dwindling.  So far I have not helped, but I am ashamed to say, have increased the number of casualties.  :/  Ah well...  A+ for trying right?  Well, should our little friend survive, we plan to observe it as it transitions to a beautiful butterfly.  I am not holding my breath. 
Here is a pic of the container in which our "precious" lives.  :)  Sorry for such a boring picture, but I dare not remove the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment